• Dan Balboni

Have You Heard About The Tale Of Two Diamonds?

Updated: Mar 25, 2019

Along time ago, in fact, over 2.5 billion years ago, a diamond was "born" far below the earth's crust. To be more accurate, between 75 and 120 miles below the earth's surface. Diamonds formed under tremendous heat and pressure. Many people ask me what are diamonds made of? They consist of 99.95% pure carbon. Diamonds are the only gem made of a single element. The remaining 0.05% of a diamond consists of more than 25 impurity elements. These elements influence the diamond's shape or color.

Diamonds have been around for a long time. The first diamond discovered in South Africa was in 1866 and was named the Eureka. It weighed 21.25 carats in the rough and was cut into a 10.73 carat oval brilliant faceted diamond.

Today, with all of this information on how diamonds are formed, scientists have discovered how to create their own. And so, we now have, The Tale Of Two Diamonds. One that nature created and one that man created. What is the difference you ask? Read on.

Synthetic diamonds also known as Lab Created diamonds are now created with graphite in a laboratory. Typically, graphite is formed when temperature is high in relation to pressure. A diamond's formation is caused by high pressure in relation to temperature. A lab created diamond has the same crystal lattice structure as a natural diamond. So what is the difference between the two? Natural diamonds are over 2.5 billion years old and a lab created or man made diamond is just a baby. Other than that? No difference.

So what does that mean to you? That depends. If you prefer not to have a diamond that is mined, as some people do, then the lab created diamond would be the way to go. Also, if you are on a tight budget or just want to save a lot of money on a diamond that looks exactly the same as its natural counterpart, then the lab created diamond would be the way to go. And by-the-way, I am a GIA Graduate Gemologist. If you handed me two diamonds, the same carat weight, shape, color and clarity, I could not tell the difference between the two. Even with a jeweler's loupe.

One last thing before the Tale Of Two Diamonds ends. Hopefully this can help anyone sitting on the fence decide whether to buy a natural or a lab created diamond. A natural 1.00 carat round brilliant, Excellent cut, G color, SI1 clarity diamond, can cost averagely, $7,500.00 plus or minus. The same quality, 1.00 carat, Excellent cut, G color, SI1 clarity lab created diamond can cost averagely, $3,775.00 plus or minus. Quite a difference in price isn't it? For the same quality that cannot be distinguished by an expert without expensive lab equipment.

This should help the woman that wants the biggest diamond she can get for the money. (Just saying.) I am speaking purely from over 25 years of experience selling diamonds to both men and women. Seriously, I'm not picking on you ladies. Because, without you, we would all be out of business. (Just saying.)

As always, thanks for reading. If you have any questions or would like more information, please feel free to contact me via email or phone. I am always happy to help.

All the best,

Dan Balboni, GIA GG, ISA

16 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All