A Unique Approach To Jewelry
As most of my customers know, I have taken a different approach to the jewelry business. I march to the beat of a different drum and I wanted a business to reflect that beat. My philosophy is simple. I believe in "putting the shoe on the other foot". How would I want to be approached about a subject I knew little or nothing about? A subject that can be quite complicated and intimidating at times, such as discussing diamond or gemstone quality, things the uninitiated cannot see, and how it affects the price. How would I feel? How can I trust you? Am I going to pay too much? Are you going to "sell me" so you can make a great profit off me?
These are some of the words that describe how I feel when I know little to nothing about an item or service that I want or need to purchase: uncertain, nervous, tense, anxious, doubtful, curious, etc. You get the picture. Most of us have been there at one time or another. So how do I rid customers of those doubts when they come to see me?
I work by appointment in my office. I don't have a jewelry showroom which means I don't inventory any jewelry. I sell jewelry online or by special order for my customers as requested. I do not own this jewelry until my customer is ready to make a purchase which means I don't keep an inventory, allowing me to pass the savings on to you. Since I don't own it, there is no pressure to sell it. There's no one here to pressure you. There is only one thing I want to sell you.....myself. Thats all anyone in sales or service really has to sell you. If I sell myself, you will come back. If I sell a product, you may not. Its that simple.
My goals are still the same today as they were over 25 years ago when I started my career. To run my own business, being the sole decision maker, treating my customers the way I would like to be treated, both ethically and morally the way my parents raised me.
I didn't want the typical me too jewelry store. I march to the beat of a different drum and I wanted a business to reflect that, so, I changed the beat.
So what do I do?
1. I don't judge, ever!
2. I start by educating my customers about the item or service they want to purchase. I'm a big believer in that.
3. I never ask my customers what there budget is. Sound foolish? Only by traditional sales standards. I find it both offensive and insulting. My customers will tell me what they want to spend when they are ready, after I have answered all their questions and earned their trust.
4. I speak in plain easy to understand every day language without the trade jargon whenever possible. My job is to unveil the mysteries to the gemstone and jewelry world.
5. I show my customers all of the options they have available by combining different gemstone and metal alternatives in several price points, giving them ideas they may never have thought of, and let them decide what works best for them.
6. I answer as many questions as my customers want or need to ask, being completely transparent. And, if I don't know the answer, I get the answer for them. No pride here, I don't know everything.
7. Because of my education and training, besides Custom Jewelry, I specialize in Estate Settlement, Insurance and Resale Appraisals.
These are the reasons why I built my business this way. I don't have a jewelry store or showroom. I work by appointment in a small office. I don't have any inventory. I don't have anyone working for me. Yet, I do everything the traditional jewelry stores do. I surround myself with other professionals that are not on my payroll. Sound different? Doesn't make sense? Why would you do business with me? Those are all good questions. The short answer is, I have eliminated the overhead which allows me to give you great value for your money.
And yes, there are advantages and some disadvantages to doing business this way. I am not built for speed, although special orders do come overnight for next day delivery. I am built for personalization and professional service backed by education and training as a GIA Graduate Gemologist and an ISA Personal Property Appraiser with a specialty in Gemstones and Jewelry with over 25 years of experience. If you have a need in any of these areas, come and see me. I work with one customer at a time, in a comfortable private atmosphere, giving them exactly what they want, not what I want. After all, isn't that how we all want to be treated?
For more information, please visit my website at www.balbonicustomjeweler.com.
Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 860-337-2050.
Until next time, all the best,
Dan Balboni, GIA GG, ISA
Balboni Custom Jeweler, LLC